US consulate in Jeddah moves north once more

4080 views

Saudi Gazette report

JEDDAH —
After over 65 years at its location on Palestine Street in Al-Hamra District, the Consulate General of the United States of America in Jeddah on Sunday moved to a new consulate compound in Al-Mohammadiyah DDistrict, near the new American School building.

US Consulate General Jeddah’s Marine Security Guard Detachment lowered the flag at the former location in Al-Hamra District for the last time after 65 years on Sept. 20. The flag was raised shortly thereafter at the new consulate in Al-Mohammadiyah district.

US-Saudi diplomatic relations began in 1948 at which time the US’s first diplomatic mission in Saudi Arabia was located in a traditional house in Jeddah’s old city center, Al-Balad. In 1952, what was then the US embassy in Jeddah, and later became the Consulate General after the embassy moved to Riyadh, relocated to Al-Hamra District, that was at the time an isolated beachfront property far north of the city limits. As Jeddah grew, the city expanded around the consulate.

The new US Consulate General will be open to the public for business on Sept. 24, 2019. The public entrance for all consular services (visas and American citizens services) is located on the west side of the new consulate on Al-Safa Street. For additional information on the new location, applying for a visa, and parking visit the website at https://sa.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/jeddah.


4080 views